Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

"New" Zodiac signs. Really?

In the past couple of days, as many of us know, the recent media sensation of zodiac signs. I have been logging on Facebook to see raging people, pissed that their sign changed. As a person who studies real astrology, I laughed. Even I know you can’t define yourself as your damn sun sign. That’s ridiculous. Most people don’t even FEEL like their sun sign.

Anyway, the “new” zodiac is far from new. It’s what is called the Sidereal ( or Vedic ) Astrology. It is commonly used in India and parts of the East, nearly unheard of over in this part of the world. I am aware of my own Sidereal chart, with my Aquarius rising being the same in both charts. In Sidereal, I’m a Scorpio, but I have a Cancer Moon, Libra Venus, Pisces Mars, etc. All my house placements and aspects are the same. Sidereal astrology is based off of what is astronomically accurate, basically. When the constellations move around, Sidereal adjusts for it.

Western ( or Tropical astrology ) does not do that, but it does not make it any less valid. Western astrology is based off of the four seasons. When Cancer is going on in Summer ( late June, early July ) the sun is on the Tropic of Cancer. Actually, it’s hard to explain, but that’s it in a nutshell.

There is not a Thirteenth Sign. Sorry. Ophicous or however you spell it, is an outlier, and the sun does not thoroughly go through it. Besides, if you were even to google it, you’re not going to find anything substantial.
My best advice is to look at your Sidereal chart vs: Western chart and decide which one you like better. Don’t base it off of your sun sign, just because you like one better than the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment